Representative Client Engagements
Most recently, Bob Ballentine represented parties to a commercial real estate transaction in drafting a title curative settlement agreement, thereby permitting the transaction to proceed to closing; represented a group of private investors in a dispute with the operator and its affiliates over its operation of a produced waste water disposal well project; represented the landlord in litigation favorably resolving a dispute with its tenant over a long-term commercial lease of a manufacturing facility; and represented a seller against non-compete and other contract claims asserted by the buyer of multiple waste water disposal wells.
Commercial Contract Litigation
- Represented pipeline companies in multiple contract disputes with shippers over natural gas and natural gas liquid allocations and pricing.
- Represented co-working interest owners on multiple occasions in accounting (COPAS) and other contract disputes, including operator removal scenarios, arising under their joint operating agreements.
- Represented parties in a variety of disputes, including their option rights and rights of first refusal, arising under their partnership agreements.
- Represented royalty owners on multiple occasions in connection with deed construction disputes over their entitlement to particular fractional shares of royalty or mineral interests.
- Represented gas gathering and gas transmission companies on multiple occasions in connection pricing, volume and other marketing disputes.
- Litigation and arbitration over sales, transportation, processing, and fractionation agreements.
- Experience with joint interest account audits and its ensuing litigation.
- Advised a well operator of its contractual rights and obligations, including the import of certain releases and indemnities, arising out of a well operation that failed due to its service company’s substandard installation of a defective downhole product.
- Represented midstream company in arbitration, and related stay and award confirmation litigation, to decide a contract dispute with the plant operator over their right to bypass the plant under the terms of their gas processing agreement.
- Represented an oil & gas operator in a breach of contract suit against a non-operator alleging breach of joint operating agreement.
- Represented one joint working interest owner against another in a breach of contract dispute over a development agreement, including the duty to assign a working interest and the right to operate the well.
- Advised a major vertically integrated oil company in connection with a contract dispute over the carrier’s interruption of jurisdictional oil pipeline service.
- Successfully defended a major midstream company against contract claims brought against it by a large independent oil & gas exploration and production company that it had misallocated natural gas and natural gas liquids under a gas processing agreement and collateral contracts.
- Defended working interest owner against excessive and improper joint interest charges claimed by the operator.